On the eve of the Entry Into Force of the United Nations Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW), leaders of six top international health and humanitarian organizations will convene for the first time to address their roles in advancing the prohibition of nuclear weapons. The live discussion will take place online at 14:00-15:10 GMT on Thurs (Jan 21), followed by a press availability forum at 15:15 GMT.
A joint statement, to be released when the event opens, asserts that, “The climate crisis and COVID-19 pandemic have brought into sharp relief the crucial need for timely international cooperation driven by evidence and expert warnings, to safeguard the health and security of people. Nuclear weapons are human-made, so the solution to the threat lies entirely within our hands.”
“Ending nuclear weapons before they end humankind and many other lifeforms is an urgent health and humanitarian imperative. The TPNW provides a vital antidote and our best path forward,” the groups emphasize.
The statement will be available at https://www.ippnw.org/news/global-health-webinar).
Event speakers will include:
- Tilman Ruff (Moderator) – Co-President, International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW)
- Mahmood Al-Hamody – Liaison Officer for Human Rights and Peace Issues, International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA)
- David Barbe – President, World Medical Association (WMA)
- Bettina Borisch – Executive Director, World Federation of Public Health Associations (WFPHA)
- Erica Burton – Senior Advisor on Nursing and Health Policy, International Council of Nurses (ICN)
- Véronique Christory – Senior Arms Control Advisor, The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Carlos Umaña – Regional Vice-President, International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW)
The main speaking program will begin promptly at 14:00 (2pm) GMT and last for one hour and 10 minutes on Thursday, 21 January @ Facebook or YouTube. Those unable to attend can watch afterwards on the same YouTube page.
A press-only forum with the speakers will begin at 15:15 (3:15pm) GMT, immediately following the event @ https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/437630637
International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW) is a federation of health professional organizations in 63 countries dedicated to the eradication of nuclear weapons (Nobel Peace Prize 1985).