Ever since the end of the World March for Peace and Nonviolence eight years ago, many questions have been asked about the possibility of doing a Second World March.
This is not an insignificant issue given that the world today is very different and much more complex and unstable. The answer depends on what would be the position that everyone takes in front of such a possibility.
We could go one step further and instead of remaining in the field of theoretical discussions go to the practical and generate actions that show the path and open the future to us in order to be able to design a mobilisation of such a scale that it represents an advance on what took place in 2009.
Some of the answers that we have found go in this direction:
- We have been asked to do a 2nd World March as soon as the conditions allow, we have heard that it is necessary given the international situation. Some speak of urgency!!
- The 2nd WM will start and end in the same city thereby completely circumnavigating the planet. We are talking about the possibilities of San José, Costa Rica or Madrid, Spain as candidate cities.
- It would be repeated every 5 years so that it leaves a footprint. Every five years the WM begins again and starts in a different city.
- The holding of forums and conferences of at least 1 or 2 days in every city through which it passes will be encouraged.
- The 2nd WM will be the driver for other marches and actions on a different scale. For example: the Central America March, the South American March, the Jai Jagat, etc.
- The 2nd WM will be in 2019, 10 years after the 1st WM, 50 years since the emergence of New Humanism and 25 years since the launch of World without Wars and Violence.
- The March will last for 5 months from the 2nd of October 2019 to the 8th of March 2020.
- It will count on a larger base team than the 1st WM.
- We hope to have important social and institutional support. Especially from new local and national governments that are noted for their commitment to Peace, Disarmament and Nonviolence.
- It will count on important support from the field of education such as universities, training centres and sporting institutions.
- It will include progressive social movemente in its organisation and activism.
- It will produce actions on a scale not previously seen that serve as a reference.
The 2nd World March for Peace and Nonviolence aims to be an action that gives a voice to the voiceless and is a tool that favours progress towards a more human world.
From the 15th to the 18th of November in Madrid, a preparatory conference for the 2nd World March will take place. The activities will happen in the Spanish Congress of Deputies and in the Madrid City Hall – Cibeles. Here we will work on giving precision to the steps to take between now and when the worldwide launch will take place, one year before it sets off.