This post is also available in: Spanish
We’re CALLING YOU TO TAKE ACTION! Be part of the #DriveforUBI Car Parade!
Come join a parade of protesters so that we together can tell Congress that they must stand with the people and include substantial, monthly payments in the next stimulus package. We get to make a large public impact, protesting in the streets while keeping ourselves and others safe by practicing social distancing. During the Car Parade, people will document their experiences and share on social media so we can be reminded of our collective support for making Congress prioritize our families and our communities.
Here’s how you participate in the #DriveforUBI Car Parade:
- Sign up to let us know you are participating. Don’t see an event in your town? Become a host to set one up. There’s no work as a host, just choose the busiest or most significant street in your town, choose the start and end points if its too long, and you’re done. Then everyone knows were to go!
- Send the link to the event to your friends and family tell them to join a parade near them, or host one, if needed.
- Decorate your car so people know what the parade is all about: Here’s a link to how to create natural “paint” for your car windows so you can write messages. and here’s a link to a sign you can print to put in your windows. And here’s another sign.
- Gather your household, grab your masks!
- Grab your keys and grab some snacks! and get to the main street for your city’s event by 1pm PST / 4pm EST.
- Keep driving back and forth, up and down your main street for 2 hours.
- Every 15 mins slow your car to 5 mph and play one of the following songs (example at 1:00pm, 1:15pm, 1:30pm and 1:45pm). (Please download songs ahead of time if needed.) 1. The Times they are A-Changin: Bob Dylan. 2. What’s Going On: Marvin Gaye 3. I Will Survive: Gloria Gaybor (or Cake!)
- Have a passenger take photos or videos as you drive in the parade and post to social media with the hashtag: #DriveforUBI
Today at 4pm ET, we’re encouraging basic income advocates to take action OFFLINE by getting out and making their voices heard in their local communities🏘
— Humanity for Yang 🧢🚀 (@HumanityForYang) April 25, 2020
You don’t have a car? You can still participate!!
- Decorate the most public facing windows of your house or apartment. Here’s a link to how to create natural “paint” for your windows so you can write messages. Here’s a link to a sign you can print to put in your windows. And here’s a link to another sign.
- Beginning at 1pm PST / 4pm ESP and for two hours every 15 mins blare on of the below songs out of your house or apartment and beat some pots and pans (example at 1:00pm, 1:15pm, 1:30pm and 1:45pm): 1) The Times they are A-Changin: Bob Dylan 2) What’s Going On: Marvin Gaye 3) I Will Survive: Gloria Gaybor (or Cake!)
- Take photos or videos of your windows and blaring music and post to social media with the hashtags: #BailOutThePeople and #CongressPassUBI