Bucharest says the United States is going ahead with deploying controversial anti-missile interceptors in Romania despite opposition from Russia.
Romanian Defense Minister Mircea Dusa says the missile system will most likely be deployed in 2015.
“I have very serious assurances from the American side that the investment in Romania will continue,” said Dusa, adding that the military cooperation between the two sides was an “exceptional one.”
This is while US officials have said short-range missiles will be deployed to Romania and Poland.
Moscow has criticized the plan, part of a larger US missile system in Europe, by saying that it will eventually threaten Russian security and allow Western powers to shoot down its ballistic missiles.
When asked to comment regarding Moscow’s opposition, the Romanian defense minister only said that his country had “normal” relations with Russia.
Meanwhile on Monday, Russia announced that it will install multi-role Kalibr (3M-54 Klub) missile systems on three of its Krivak IV-class frigates for use against surface and subsurface naval combatants along with static land targets.
Last week, US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said that his country had abandoned plans to place long-range missile interceptors in the final stage of its European system.
The original article can be found on the PressTV website, here.