Mayors for a Nuclear Power Free Japan
The “Mayors for a Nuclear Power Free Japan” network will be officially launched in Tokyo on April 28, 2012.
This network was initiated by mayors and local municipal leaders attending the Global Conference for a
Nuclear Power Free World held in Yokohama in January 2012.
66 mayors from 34 prefectures throughout Japan have declared their participation in this
A suprapartisan group of Diet members from almost all major Japanese political parties have been
confirmed as Special Advisors, along with former Governor of Fukushima Prefecture, Sato Eisaku.
The launch will also include greetings from Suzuki Teisuke, leader of the newly launched Network of
Business Leaders and Entrepreneurs for a Sustainable Business and Energy Future, and messages
from Mayor of Seoul Park Won-soon and former Prime Minister Kan Naoto.
The network declares to work together for the following aims:
− No new nuclear power plants to be built
− A move to zero nuclear power plants as soon as possible
1. Understanding the real situation of nuclear power plants
(costs, nuclear fuel cycle, final disposal sites etc)
2. Clarifying the programme to move to zero nuclear power plants
3. Creating concrete policies for the regional promotion of renewable energies
4. Exchange and sharing of information through international solidarity
5. Supporting the evacuation of and provision of safe food for children